Brown Bear cubs playing with their mom

Bear mom with her cubs

In this short video, we can see a couple of brown bears cubs playing with their mom, like all cubs, are very cute and funny, and they love to play. Usually, the brown bears have two cubs, but it can also have four. When they born are blind and without teeth. Their weight at the birth is between 400 to … Read more

Funny animals fishing in Alaska

Funny animals fishing Funny animals fishing Who has never dreamed of going to fish salmons in Alaska? It is a dream of many world’s fishermen, but are you sure this is a very safe sport? Watching this funny animals fishing video it appears not very safe or at least rich in surprises! It is a compilation of many fishing situations … Read more

Brown bear one of biggest carnivore in the earth

Brown bear

Brown bear

IUCN LC
IUCN red list classification as Least Concern

Scientific Name: Ursus arctors
English name: Brown bear – Grizzly bear
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Carnivora
Family: Ursidae
Link to Red List page: Brown Bear red list 

brown bear grizzly bearDimensions:

The brown bear is big, is the biggest carnivore in the world, the dimension is different according to the subspecies, the Grizzly bear is usually between 170 and 280 cm long and tall at the shoulder is between 90 and 150 cm. The weight can be up to 650kg. When he stands up on the rear legs only he can arrive or even pass 3 mt. According to the researchers, the brown bear dimension depends on the food availability, this is the reason because the Kodiak bear is the biggest, he eats primarily salmons and this makes him so big. Another proof is the dimensions reached in captivity where the biggest specimen when has died weighed close to 1100 kg. The dimensions listed up are referred to the male specimen. The female is usually between 20 up to 50% of male.

Habitat:

The Brown bear prefers mountain places and he loves the semi-open place. In the Arctic region, the global warming is creating new areas suitable for brown bear. At the same time is removing areas at the polar bear. In Eurasia, the preferred habitat is the forest.

Where to find:

the 80% of the brown bear population is Alaska, Canada, and Russia. The remaining 20% is fragmented in Europe and other areas near the biggest population.

Lifestyle:

the brown bear is a very wild dangerous animal, its strength is great. Imagine one paw with the front legs can break the backbone of any animal. But is not a serial killer, his attack is classified and any time there is a specific reason. Mostly time is victim’s mistake the origin of the attack. In North America, the 70% of fatalities is by mother defending cubs.

The Alaska Science Center ranks the following as the most likely reasons for bear attacks:
Surprise
Curiosity
Invaded personal space (this includes a mother bear protecting her young)
Predatory intent
Hunting wounded
Carcass defense
Provoked charge
(source wikipedia}
The data above are regarding America’s brown bear. So in many other places, the behavior can be very different. But in any case, when you meet a mother with cubs stay far or die. I want to remark that this simple rule about mother and cubs is valid for any animal species.

The Brown bear don’t have any enemy, is alpha animal in his territory. The only competitor can be in some areas the Siberian tiger, where they share the same territory. Difficult to see fighting by adults of tiger and bear. Usually, if there is attack have as a target the cubs of the competitor.

Brown bear diet

is 80% vegetarian and the remaining 20% is hunting some prey. Just in the case of Kodiak bear, for example, the diet can be hundred % salmons and eggs of salmons. This is the reason because Kodiak bear is the biggest of all subspecies of brown bear. If the brown bear needs to be considered very danger is even true is danger in exceptional cases only. In the most case, he meets humans he leaves; he doesn’t like the human contact. unfortunately, there is the exception like for example in Yellowstone Park. In Yellowstone, the tourists are a lot and they do camping, and the bears are generally waste lovers. So if he feels the food’s smell he starts to search it. They can destroy tents or even cars, better don’t be there.

brown bear kodiak bear Major risk:

two are the big risks for brown bear, the climate changing with the global warming and the human activities. Is generally classified Last Concern by IUCN red list. Anyway some subspecies in some areas are Engendered. In the case of Kodiak bear the situation in particular, the destiny of this bear is cruel, in Kodiak island the hunt is permitted and regulated by ADF&G, every year 496 permits are released in front than request of 4500, fortunately not all the hunters kill a bear, and actually the number of killed is less then 200 per year, but the number is increasing.

We know the local residents collaborate with the authority for the respect of the law. They fight against the poaching in hunting and fishing and this is remarkable. There is no official data regarding the conservation status of the Kodiak bear population. The IUCN classifies the brown bear and not the subspecies. We want to suppose which the population is stable, anyway remain the moral problem. To kill a specimen for to save another specimen is a contradiction in terms. I think children understand better than adults this discrepancy.
As usual, we hope reason and common sense will be used in the future for to protect this beautiful animal with humanity and love.

Alaska the land of bears and ices

Alaska the land of bears and ices

Alaska flag

Country

United States Of America

Region/State

Alaska

Official Language

English 86% native and other languages 14%

Area

1.717.000 km q

Population

736.000

Density

0.43 ab/kmq

Capital city

Juneau

Largest city

Anchorage

Climate

The Alaska climate is cold, everywhere you go is cold, just near the south coast is a little bit better, but normaly in January a range between -15 and -40 degree.

Economy

Economy of Alaska include natural gas and crude petroleum , fishing and tourism. Other resource are the gold and coal.

Safety

There is not important safety recommendation, just remember to be prudent, you are in another country and another culture, so you need to respect that culture.
most important event in Alaska is definitively the Idita Road, the more famous sled dog competition. It start in Anchorage and ending in Nome village after 1.600 kilometers, here the story of Idita Road

Religion

Christian included catholic are the 62% of population, while the agnostic atheist and without religion are the 32%, the remaining percentage is very fragmented other ideas.

Alaska Lake Clark[wp_bannerize group=”inarticle”]

Lifestyle

A part of Alaska is beyond the Arctic Circle, this meaning that climate in that regions is very strong, -40 degrees is normal and in remote places can arrive over -50. If you decide to visit Alaska in the winter, from October to march but sometime even May, is better you considerate to ask the best suggestions from locals, because if you will go in the south coast will be very different than to go in the Arctic and different must to be the equipment necessary. Can be very danger to approach -50 degrees without the correct equipment.
If you are asking why to go in winter if there is this whether condition, is simple, in the winter you can see the best sunsets and specially the northern lights are amazing, the coldest and clear nights will give you the best opportunity for to observe the northern lights.
Alaskan people need to fight every winter against the Cabin Fever, the winter is cold, dark and solitary, if you will be passive is probably you will be affect by Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Alaska[wp_bannerize group=”inarticle”]
If you plan to stay long term in the region in winter, is better you provide to study some activities, that will keep you occupied and the mind will remain stable.
Specially in rural and remote places, the inhabits love to drink alcoholic, and they drink a lot, the drinking joined to the severe winter conditions create the condition for mental problems, is not a small issue, the number of suicide is too high and so the Govern was been constrict to forbidden alcohol in some villages.
Better will be if you join to locals in the winter activities like the ice skating or whether sledding.
If you think to rent a car is better to take a good lesson how to maintain a car in Alaskan winter, or you will rent a block of ice.
If you rent a house check if there is the correct warming system, if is not enough warm you will have many issues.
A not exhaustive list of land and marine mammals.
Brown bear, lynx, gray wolf, arctic fox, elk, reindeer, musk ox, Black bear, moose, polar bear, Kodiak bear, bison, Coyote and wolverine. ringed seal, harbor porpoise, ribbon seal, harbor seal, north pacific right whale, bowhead whale, blue whale, fin whale, elephant seal, northern fur seal, gray whale, sperm whale, humpback whale, beluga whale, killer whale and many more, watch the complete list of  Alaska fauna here in the official Alaska Site.[wp_bannerize group=”inarticle”]