Scientific Name: Ursus arctors
English name: Brown bear – Grizzly bear
Link to Red List page: Brown Bear red list
The brown bear is big, is the biggest carnivore in the world, the dimension is different according to the subspecies, the Grizzly bear is usually between 170 and 280 cm long and tall at the shoulder is between 90 and 150 cm. The weight can be up to 650kg. When he stands up on the rear legs only he can arrive or even pass 3 mt. According to the researchers, the brown bear dimension depends on the food availability, this is the reason because the Kodiak bear is the biggest, he eats primarily salmons and this makes him so big. Another proof is the dimensions reached in captivity where the biggest specimen when has died weighed close to 1100 kg. The dimensions listed up are referred to the male specimen. The female is usually between 20 up to 50% of male.
The Brown bear prefers mountain places and he loves the semi-open place. In the Arctic region, the global warming is creating new areas suitable for brown bear. At the same time is removing areas at the polar bear. In Eurasia, the preferred habitat is the forest.
Where to find:
the brown bear is a very wild dangerous animal, its strength is great. Imagine one paw with the front legs can break the backbone of any animal. But is not a serial killer, his attack is classified and any time there is a specific reason. Mostly time is victim’s mistake the origin of the attack. In North America, the 70% of fatalities is by mother defending cubs.
The Alaska Science Center ranks the following as the most likely reasons for bear attacks:
Invaded personal space (this includes a mother bear protecting her young)
The data above are regarding America’s brown bear. So in many other places, the behavior can be very different. But in any case, when you meet a mother with cubs stay far or die. I want to remark that this simple rule about mother and cubs is valid for any animal species.
The Brown bear don’t have any enemy, is alpha animal in his territory. The only competitor can be in some areas the Siberian tiger, where they share the same territory. Difficult to see fighting by adults of tiger and bear. Usually, if there is attack have as a target the cubs of the competitor.
Brown bear diet
is 80% vegetarian and the remaining 20% is hunting some prey. Just in the case of Kodiak bear, for example, the diet can be hundred % salmons and eggs of salmons. This is the reason because Kodiak bear is the biggest of all subspecies of brown bear. If the brown bear needs to be considered very danger is even true is danger in exceptional cases only. In the most case, he meets humans he leaves; he doesn’t like the human contact. unfortunately, there is the exception like for example in Yellowstone Park. In Yellowstone, the tourists are a lot and they do camping, and the bears are generally waste lovers. So if he feels the food’s smell he starts to search it. They can destroy tents or even cars, better don’t be there.
two are the big risks for brown bear, the climate changing with the global warming and the human activities. Is generally classified Last Concern by IUCN red list. Anyway some subspecies in some areas are Engendered. In the case of Kodiak bear the situation in particular, the destiny of this bear is cruel, in Kodiak island the hunt is permitted and regulated by ADF&G, every year 496 permits are released in front than request of 4500, fortunately not all the hunters kill a bear, and actually the number of killed is less then 200 per year, but the number is increasing.
We know the local residents collaborate with the authority for the respect of the law. They fight against the poaching in hunting and fishing and this is remarkable. There is no official data regarding the conservation status of the Kodiak bear population. The IUCN classifies the brown bear and not the subspecies. We want to suppose which the population is stable, anyway remain the moral problem. To kill a specimen for to save another specimen is a contradiction in terms. I think children understand better than adults this discrepancy.
As usual, we hope reason and common sense will be used in the future for to protect this beautiful animal with humanity and love.